The roots of Worthington Libraries can be traced to the small New England town of Granby, Connecticut. It was from Granby in 1803 that a group of 100 men, women and children set out to begin a new life in Worthington, Ohio. Among the possessions they brought with them were the books for what they would call the Stanbery Library, a subscription library named for its principal benefactor. This library was the first in Franklin County and only the third in the state.
Throughout the next 100 years, library service in Worthington took many forms—books were kept at the school, the local post office, etc.—but it was inevitably kept alive by groups of local citizens. They knew that if a community was to survive and grow its residents must have a library to provide opportunities for enhanced education and continued learning.
- Phone 614-807-2626
Worthington, OH 43085